Visa to Russia
Important Visa Information
I. In accordance with the Agreement between the Russian Federation and the United States of America on the simplification of visa formalities for nationals of the Russian Federation and nationals of the United States of America, the US citizens shall as a rule be issued multiple-entry business, private, humanitarian and tourist visas that are valid for three years (36 months) from the date of issue of the visa.
Please have a look at the recommended list of documents for the submission of additional information regarding 3-year multiple-entry business, private, humanitarian, and tourist visas.
IN THIS RESPECT – FOR THE PURPOSE OF THE FULL IMPLEMENTATION OF THE AGREEMENT ON THE SIMPLIFICATION OF VISA FORMALITIES - IT IS RECOMMENDED THAT US CITIZENS APPLY FOR THREE YEAR MULTIPLE-ENTRY BUSINESS, PRIVATE, HUMANITARIAN AND TOURIST VISAS REGARDLESS OF THE PERIOD OF STAY STATED IN THEIR INVITATIONS.
II. Dear US Applicants,
- According to the Agreement it is recommended that you submit your documents for obtaining a 3-year multiple-entry visa at least 8 working days prior to your intended date of entry into Russia.
- When filling out the electronic visa application form at: http://visa.kdmid.ru please choose «multiple» from the drop-down menu and indicate a 3-year period of stay starting from the date of entry in your visa support documents (invitation).
- Your Visa Application must be accompanied by an invitation from the hosting party. Copies or facsimilies of the invitation are acceptable.
- A multiple-entry visa allows subsequent trips with a purpose other than what was initially indicated in the visa. Thus, the new purpose of each trip and information on the new hosting organization must be indicated in the Migration Card form in order to clear Russian customs and border control.
- The passport of the applicant, as a rule, must be valid for at least full six months after the visa expiry date.
III. Dear Visa Applicants!
Please be advised that the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Russian Federation on December 14, 2016 has issued Order № 23359, which outlines the uniform method in calculating the actual consular expenses, associated with the exercise of consular actions.
The Order regulates the procedure for assessing the fee due from foreign nationals applying for a Russian visa, as of the 28th of January, 2017 (The date on which the Order comes into effect).
Please note that in accordance with the new Order, the rates for the issuance of visas have changed.
Please, acquaint yourself with the updated consular fees required to obtain a Russian visa, effective as of 28th January, 2017.
New visa processing fees for US Citizens
4-20 Business days
4-20 Business days
4-20 Business days
|Single-Entry Transit Visas|
4-20 Business days
Double-Entry Transit Visas
4-20 Business days
|Visas for Temporary Residency|
Irrespective of Processing Time
Visa Transfer or Replacement
Visa transfer or replacement at a Consular
Under the agreement between the Embassy of the Russian Federation to the United States of America and the company «Invisa Logistics Services LLC», in improving visa services, US citizens, foreign nationals and stateless persons may apply for all Russian visa types at the above-mentioned company's Visa Center. The company is nationwide, with five offices: Washington DC, New York, San Francisco, Houston, and Seattle.
Please be advised that the current Visa Center service fee is $ 33.00 per visa.
Consular visa tariffs remain the same.
For more information visit www.ils-usa.com.
For your convenience, you may reach Call-Center Representatives at:
(202) 827-0880 or e-mail your inquiries to: email@example.com
Monday-Friday (Eastern Time)
9.00 a.m. - 1 p.m.
2.00 p.m. - 9.00 p.m.
Technical break: 1 p.m. - 2 p.m.
Call-Center Representatives are standing by to answer any questions you may have regarding the visa process or general consular inquiries.
V. Foreign applicants for Russian visas can apply directly to the Consular Division of the Embassy of the Russian Federation.
Prior to submitting your visa application to Russian consulate you must make an appointment on the following web-site. For applying directly you are required to appear in person for a visa interview at the Consular Division from 9 a.m. till 12.15 p.m. Please, comply with the general visa obtaining procedure and have available all the documents concerning your trip. Tourist\visa processing agencies have to submit applications to the ILS only.
VI. All applications for Russian visas submitted in the United States must be prepared using the electronic visa application form at the website http://visa.kdmid.ru.
Russian visa applications prepared using the old format or in a different way are not accepted any more.
VIII. Information for Turkish citizens
In accordance with the Decree № 583, issued by the President of the Russian Federation on November 28, 2015, the procedure for entering the Russian Federation for citizens of the Republic of Turkey, bearers of a regular Turkish passports, has been revised.
As of January 1, 2016, Turkish citizens bearing said passports will be required to obtain a Russian visa issued by a diplomatic or consular division of the Russian Federation. (For more information please visit our website http://visa.kdmid.ru).
This does not affect Turkish citizens:
- bearing temporary residency permits or permanent residency cards for the territory of the Russian Federation;
- bearers of special or official passports, traveling to the Russian Federation for less than 30 days;
- bearing special or official passports who are working at diplomatic missions and consulates of the Republic of Turkey on the territory of the Russian Federation, and their family members who hold valid special or official Turkish passports;
- or Turkish citizens who hold a Seaman's Passport, provided they are entering for maritime purposes on ship orders.
General Visa Information
Travel to Russia requires an entry visa. The Consular Division of the Embassy issues different categories of visas to Russia based upon the purpose of the trip and the duration of stay in Russia.
The following documents should be submitted in order to obtain a visa according to its category:
- Completed visa application signed by the Applicant only. Incomplete visa application forms shall not be processed. Application available online at http://visa.kdmid.ru All questions in the application form should be answered. If a question is not applicable to the applicant, he should put “N/A”. Each application form must be signed by the visa applicant personally.
- Valid national passport (original only and it should have at least two clear visa pages). It must be valid no less than six months after the visa expiration date. Holders of travel documents such us: Permit to Re-Enter the United States of America, Travel Document, etc. must submit valid Permanent Resident Card (an original and a copy).
- One picture of an applicant. Russian visa photo specifications.
- Money Order or Certified Bank Check made out to the Russian Consulate for visa processing. Please note that we do not accept cash, credit or debit cards, personal or company checks.
- Invitation to Russia from a host person or organisation.
Dear Applicants, when applying for a Russian visa please be advised that
- In order to expedite and improve visa obtaining process as well as for security concerns the Consular Division is no more processing visa applications by mail, starting from June 1, 2010.
- Non-US citizens should also provide proof of legality of their stay in the USA (US Resident Alien status, form I-94) when applying for a visa.
- Applicants who used to be citizens of the USSR or the Russian Federation and emigrated from the USSR or from Russia must submit one of the documents which confirms that they are no longer citizens of the Russian Federation (so called "Visa to Israel" or stamp in their passport saying that they left for "permanent residence abroad" before February, 06 1992 or official document certifying that their Russian citizenship was renounced), otherwise the applications will not be accepted.
- In accordance with Russian laws citizens of the Russian Federation regardless of any other citizenship theymay have, must travel to Russia on valid Russian documents only.
- Visa processing starts only after the Consular Division has collected all necessary documents.
- Visa processing fee is not refundable.
- Type of visa or dates of entry/departure can not be changed or extended. If your travel plans have changed after the visa issuance you have to reapply for a new visa.
- After you received your visa, please check all the data indicated in it and, if necessary, return it to the Consular Division for corrections. The Consular Division will not be responsible for any mistakes in the visas, which were not brought to our attention prior to your departure from the US.
- Any visa applicant may be interviewed by the consular officer, if necessary.
- Processing time, requirements and fees are subject to change without notice.
- In certain cases the Consular Division is entitled to consider visa applications as long as it necessary. Visa can be denied if the Consular Division has serious reasons to believe that an applicant's entry into or stay in the territory of the Russian Federation will not be desirable.
- Please be advised that person can not have two valid visas in one passport. In this case the first visa is to be cancelled.
Information for EU Passport Holders
On the 1st of June, 2007 the Russia-EU Visa Facilitation Agreement came into force and according to its provisions visa processing fees are changed for the citizens of the following countries:
Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Denmark, Hungary, Greece, Spain, Italy, Cyprus, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxemburg, Malta, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Germany, Finland, France, Czech Republic, Sweden, Switzerland, Estonia.
Citizens of these countries should submit national medical insurance certificate valid for Russia or guarantee of medical coverage from a Russian hosting organization for all period of stay. Medical insurance certificate should contain Russian contact phone number for emergency or assistance.
However these provisions are not valid for the countries which did not sign the Agreement: the United Kingdom, Ireland, Denmark, Iceland and Norway.
Holders of diplomatic passports of the countries mentioned above do not need a visa to enter Russia for 90 days.
The fees are:
- For all types of visa (including multiple entry) for 10 days processing – $50
- For all types of visa (including multiple entry) for urgent (3 days) processing – $100